Friday, April 24, 2009

Thursday Feb 26: Last day in Santa Rosa

Today was another “free day” at Rincon de la Vieja National park, aka the volcanoes.  Sarah Stas and I first decided to hike to the waterfall, 5k each way.  The hike was actually really enjoyable.  It was a mix of moist and dry forest, and the difference between the two was really drastic.  One minute we were in a pretty green forest, then suddenly it looked like we were in a desert.  We were pretty high up, so the view was amazing.  The waterfall was absolutely beautiful.  It had a nice pool that the sun was shining on, so the water was a bright aqua blue.  The water was cold, but felt really good.  We only stayed at the waterfall for a little bit because we wanted to hike the 3 k loop around the fumarolas.  We hiked the 5k back, then started the loop.  We had an hour, which we thought was enough time.  The fumarolas weren’t nearly as exciting as we had hoped.  Just a bubbling pool of sulfur, really.  We had to book it back to the bus.  We had to practically run the last 1.5K back.  It was really hot so that really sucked.  My ankles were so swollen.  After Rincon we got back on the bus and headed to Playa Junquillal.  We stopped on the way and the staff got a huge cooler full of beer.  I got orange juice, woohoo.  I was really tired so I sat and talked with Stefa.  The sunset was amazingly beautiful.  Words can’t even describe.  We all sat and watched the sunset, but most pretty were really drunk and I was really annoyed.  The drunkenness continued at dinner, we ate this whole in the wall seafood place.  It was so tired and just wanted to go to bed.  It just made me super cranky.  I went to the payphone with Kim and Sarah to escape the crowd.  Unfortunately we stayed at the restaurant for a while.  Finally we left and on the way home I saw the big dipper and it made me a little bit happier.  Back at camp Sarah and I went to the classroom to use the wireless with Stefa’s PSP.  I only got to read two emails because stupid Wismail requires too much memory.  When we got back to camp we noticed some extra things in our text.  Turns out Brad and Luke had fire ants in their tent so Brad slept with us.  Thank god we had one of the big tents.  

No comments:

Post a Comment